Hello Fellow Crafters,
In this blog, we the staff at CraftKitsandSupplies.com would like to discuss some of the features to look for when purchasing or building your birdhouse. Birdhouses provide wild birds a place to rest at night, protection from the weather or predators, and a place to raise their young. Below are ten features to consider when shopping for a birdhouse, or building your next birdhouse kit.
1. No Perch: Perches are only a man-made concept in the construction of bird houses. In nature, 9 times out of ten, there are no perches in the tree hole, except maybe a branch. Birds are capable of flying directly into a small hole, and don’t need a perch for a landing strip. But with that said, a perch is not usually a negative, for bird nesting.
2. The Hole Size: Most birdhouses contain a hole diameter of approx. 1-1/2 inches. It is because this is the most common entrance size for nesting birds. This hole size also can keep invasive species such, as Starlings away from the bird house.
3. Floor Dimensions: To provide the young birds enough room, the dimensions of the bottom of the bird house should be approx. 4×4 inches.
4. Box Height: The height of the box is another important feature. A difference of 5 inches from the floor and entrance hole is enough. This height keeps the young birds away from the predators.
5. Easy to Open: The birdhouses are opened according to the seasonal changes. You also need to open them for the cleaning, and that’s why the birdhouses should be easy to open.
6. Ventilation: In order to promote the passage of air from all sides there should be holes. The holes should be made according to the size of the bird house. Also, keep the dangers in mind. The holes should not promote the entrance of insects in the bird house.
7. Drainage Holes: The drainage hole is important. It is mainly constructed near the bottom. This facilitates the water movement from the birdhouse.
8. A handle to hang the Box: The hangers, or hooks, are usually provided with the bird houses. These are used to hang the bird house anywhere outside your home.
9. Wood is always best: To avoid big changes from the heat and cold, wood is considered the best insulator, and this why wooden birdhouses are preferred over plastic birdhouses.
10. Roof Overhang: How to keep the rain water out? The roof overhangs can be used to keep the rain water outside the bird house. Also, the direction (N. S. W. or E.) of the entrance of the bird house should be considered to the local general direction of the rain and wind in your neighbor.
Now check out CraftKitsandSupplies.com. We carry over 100 different birdhouses and birdhouse kits. Some are just cute little craft projects, while some are real size birdhouses made for nesting birds.